Friday, October 13, 2006

Hippo Monster

I watched the Ewok Adventure: Caravan of Courage about 50 times when I was a kid, so recently when I saw the double movie DVD of COC with the Battle of Endor I purchased it without even thinking. I loved this move and still do in spite of its lackluster production; it brings back many memories that I still laugh about with my brothers.

This movie has had quite a viewing here at our house lately. Now, of course the moment I arrived home with the DVD I forced Lyndsay to watch both of the movies, and she claims that they changed her life. That's probably an understatement. But here lately the Caravan of Courage has been viewed at least two time a week, by none other than Xander. He loves this show, and loves the ewoks. So far I've taught him to say wicket's name and the dad's name, Deej. We'll be working on the other names later.

The part that is so funny to me however, is that I think Xander's favorite part is when the Hippo Monster chases the children and then fights the ewoks in the morning. In case you are wondering, there is a very evil monster called the Gorax, who has captured the parents of the human children in the story. This evil Gorax has a nasty dog like pet that the Ewoks have to fight, and for whatever reason, each time the beast is shown Xander yells, "Hippo Monster." I don't know why he calls it that, but it cracks me up every time, even while I sit here typing, I am laughing.

So when we are driving in the car, or sitting around home talking, Xander starts to talk about the Hippo monster. And we talk about how Wicket "got" him with the poison dart, and we all get a chuckle. I can't believe that we are talking and laughing about a movie that I watched when I was a kid.

George Lucas uniting families for three generations.

6 comments:

TWH said...

it does look sort of like a hippo. he's a toddler commedian

Jason said...

If there was ever any doubt about his identity as a Hughes, the fact that Star Wars runs through his veins pretty much solidifies it!

Jonathan H said...

Oh yeah, Xander was also calling Wicket, Otis when he first started watching the movie.

Tyler said...

chukatruck?

Anonymous said...

We watched Milo and Otis when he was here at our house. Was the dog's name Otis?

Anonymous said...

I love this movie and watch it every year; I wish they would make the soundtrack. That's neat you all like it! However, just had to point this out, that the "hippo monster" is in fact called a Boar Wolf or Borra. May the Force be with you!