Wednesday, April 09, 2008

An Unexpected and Pleasant Surprise

Some of you know that I am very near the end of the Thesis writing process, and believe me, I am very ready to be done with the project. While I am ready to be done with this specific project, it is not as if I am ready to shove all the books aside and be done with the topics I have been researching.

As with any research, you can always follow multiple rabbit holes, and one has to limit the scope of their research. My plan up to this point has been to finish my thesis and then do further research on the writings of process theists: Charles Hartshorne and Alfred North Whitehead. I also have desired to further study some finer points of Arminian theology, as well as explore the writings of Karl Barth.

The unexpected and pleasant suprise is that I have become quite fascinated with the writings of, none other than, Alexander Campbell. I have been reading parts of The Christian System, which is the closest thing he wrote to a systematic theology, and his articles in The Christian Baptist, which can be found by searching google books.

I'll have to say that up until now, I have not given him enough credit, mostly because, for me, all of the Christian Church "slogans" have overshadowed his brilliant mind. His reflections on Jesus as the eternal logos are similar to the pre-Nicene theologians like Justin Martyr. Also, his view of human freedom is also very interesting, since it departs from the traditional Arminian view and is much more akin to the view of freedom espoused by John Cassian and the Eastern Fathers.

For someone who spoke so pejoratively about theology, he certainly had quite the theological mind. Interestingly enough, after the writing process is complete, my plan is to start reading Campbell and many of his ideas before any of the aforementioned subjects. What a strange twist for me! Since I entered seminary I have been very intentional about questioning and deconstructing my own church heritage, and it seems ironic that I would now discover it in the process! Ha!

5 comments:

Adam said...

better watch out the more you study the more you realize what people acctually said and what they acctually did. And some heros end up being shmucks

Jonathan H said...

You are right, Adam. Whenever you read a person with a fair attitude, you begin to realize that a lot of of "information" you have received from others is often a caricature, or a straw man version of the real thing.

Anonymous said...

dude...does this mean that you have made an Alexander Campbell Mii on your Nintendo?

haha

timo

Jonathan H said...

Tim, that is a great idea! Haha!

Mills Family said...

John,

Sometimes Brian and I feel like the "movement" is crazy but then we remember guys like Campbell & this wisdom and insight..and we have renewed hope. Amazing what one or two guys can do.